The Cove Country Inn is a staple in Westport. I don’t think you can meet someone who visits the village that hasn’t been to The Cove for lunch on their patio in the summer or dinner and a show to see an awesome musician/band. The Cowan family are the amazing owners and Seamus Cowan is the one that keeps the Inn full of fresh ideas, amazing eats, local drinks and tunes in the air.
We’re very grateful Seamus took the time to answer our 20 Questions Quiz. Enjoy getting to know him a little better and make sure to stop by for a visit when they reopen later in the spring.
- Question: If your life had a soundtrack, what would the “hit single” be?
Answer: The Weight by The Band
- Q: Early bird or night owl?
A: up early but always stay up too late
- Q: Favourite spot in Westport?
A: My Home
- Q: You’ve just won a million dollars. What will you do next?
A: Go on a Family Vacation to unite my family and my brother’s family. Invest the rest.
- Q: Beatles or Rolling Stones? (Or Nirvana/Pearl Jam for you younger folk…)
A: Stones and Nirvana. Certain eras from each of those groups are all great though. I’m never big on picking musical favourites!
- Q: When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A: An artist of some type of discipline.
- Q: Have you ever won a trophy or award? If so, what for?
A: Nothing to speak of that comes to mind. Always flew under the radar. My awards have usually just come in the reward of the process. I did get top of my class in my sommelier course though…
- Q: Worst hair cut/fashion mistake you ever made?
A: Man bun in early 2000s. Before my time or bad premonition?
- Q: Favourite breakfast food?
A: Always fun to eat a Breakfast skillet with potato and Chorizo Sausage!
- Q: If you could go back in time and give your younger self a piece of advice, what would it be?
A: Ask more questions and let the answers sink in. I’ve always tried to do it all.
- Q: Favourite season?
A: Summer but I love to ski the mountains in winter!
- Q: Who is your biggest hero/inspiration/role model?
A: There are so many! Like I said, I’m not big on picking favourites. My wife, my folks, my kids, my brother, my sister, my friends, Barack Obama, Tom Petty, Stevie Wonder, Dave Chappelle…I value so many people in my life, I find it impossible choose one.
- Q: If you could be famous for something, what would you want it to be?
A: Helping the world bridge our differences to see the positives in each other by listening to each other. Music has always been a way for me to help bring people together.
- Q: What is your favourite smell?
A: It’s a toss up between my boys’ heads of hair, Felton Road and fresh coffee in the morning.
- Q: Are you born and bred in Westport? If not, what inspired you to adopt it as your hometown?
A: I’m basically born and bred. My family moved here when I was 8 from Crossfield, Alberta.
- Q: Dogs or cats?
A: Jury is still out. I have equally loved both cats and the one dog that I’ve had.
- Q: What is your favourite thing about your career?
A: I love that I get the opportunity to provide a place to work with all kinds of great people and bring people together to share happy and inspiring experiences with family and friends. It’s the best thing in the world and it’s what this life is all about! Food, music and people! It’s an open slate for creativity and I play music at my work! I’m very fortunate and grateful.
- Q: Who would you want to play you in a movie about your life?
A: Jim Carrey
- Q: What do you like best about living and working in Westport?
A: First of all, I love the fact that we are situated on the water at the foot of a little mountain. Who wouldn’t! But our town’s strength is in it’s people. Seeing how resilient, caring and supportive our residents are really makes me realize how lucky we are to be living in this little place. We are a bubble. I look forward to all of the positive days ahead where we can continue to build our town together!
- Q: Snack or junk food you can’t resist?