What can I say about my own answers to the 20 Questions Quiz? I mean, it would be weird to build up what I say below in a lead-in paragraph right? Let’s just go with this: I’m a local photographer and website/social media marketer who was fortunate to leave the “rat race” 4 years ago and move to the country with my family to live a better life. I love Westport the landscape, but also the people and the businesses. It’s an amazing place to “root” and grow old. I hope my answers below reflect some of that.
- Question: If your life had a soundtrack, what would the “hit single” be?
Answer: “We Used To Wait” by The Arcade Fire
- Q: Early bird or night owl?
A: Used to be a Night Owl, now circumstances make me an Early Bird 🤷♂️
- Q: Favourite spot in Westport?
A: Being a photographer, my surroundings are top priority to me. Thankfully Westport has so many picturesque spots. Walking up and down Church Street to photograph the tourists. The back lawns at The Cove overlooking the water at sunset. The kid’s playing in the water at Lions Club Beach. Overlooking the vineyards at Scheuermann’s. Sunrise at Westport Harbour. ALL of Foley Mountain. See what I mean? How could anyone just pick one favourite?
- Q: You’ve just won a million dollars. What will you do next?
A: Retire to the country and live in a yellow house on a hill overlooking the beautiful landscape that surrounds me. Maybe make a photograph or two. Oh wait….
- Q: Beatles or Rolling Stones? (Or Nirvana/Pearl Jam for you younger folk…)
A: Gotta be Nirvana. They were pivotal in my high-school years. Never really got the appeal of the Beatles or the Stones.
- Q: When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A: A stay-at-home Dad with a big family.
- Q: Have you ever won a trophy or award? If so, what for?
A: All my “official” accomplishments came when I was younger. Middle school Valedictorian, Regional Winner for Skills Canada Competition in Graphic Design, Regional President of a Students’ Association in High School, on lacrosse teams that won a national championship in 1990 and a provincial one in 1992. Since then, I’ve been a slacker apparently.
- Q: Worst hair cut/fashion mistake you ever made?
A: Sporting hockey hair, but I would say that was more a mistake of my parents than me!
- Q: Favourite breakfast food?
A: Pancakes and Bacon (great dinner food too!)
- Q: If you could go back in time and give your younger self a piece of advice, what would it be?
A: Don’t go into business with…or work for close friends. It has ended badly twice for me, won’t let it happen again.
- Q: Favourite season?
- Q: Who is your biggest hero/inspiration/role model?
A: A couple of photographers come to mind: Dan Winters in the seminal portrait photographer I am inspired by. Also Annie Leibovitz and what she did for rock photography. Chris Friel/Valda Bailey/Andy Gray for the Abstract Photo Impressionist work. I could lose myself in any of these photographer’s imagery for hours on end.
- Q: If you could be famous for something, what would you want it to be?
A: My photography
- Q: What is your favourite smell?
A: The smell of a natural body of water. There is nothing better than standing on the shoreline smelling all that comes with being around a lake.
- Q: Are you born and bred in Westport? If not, what inspired you to adopt it as your hometown?
A: I was born elsewhere. Westport is a beautiful spot, chock-full of interesting people and great small businesses. What more could I need?
- Q: Dogs or cats?
A: Used to be dogs but we’ve had four cats over the last 15 years and they’ve changed my mind.
- Q: What is your favourite thing about your career?
A: It offers the perfect balance of being able to meet and work with amazing people when I want to be active, and work alone when my mind craves some solitude. Being in a creative field, good or bad, there is never a dull moment.
- Q: Who would you want to play you in a movie about your life?
A: Ryan Reynolds (Definitely Maybe not Deadpool Ryan)
- Q: What do you like best about living and working in Westport?
A: Being surrounded by the beauty of the country and the closeness that only a small village can bring. Knowing that my son is well taken care of at the local school. Working with businesses to help them succeed.
- Q: Snack or junk food you can’t resist?
A: Miss Vickies Chips (Lime & Black Pepper Flavour, recently topped by the new Spicy Dill Pickle). Miss Vickie makes a very dangerous chip 😉
If you want to know more about me and my “work,” please hop on over to my website.